Cranberry Banana Chocolate Cupcakes
Prep: 10mins. Bake: 25mins. Makes: 12
For the cupcake:
- 200 grams granulated white sugar
- 130 grams all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (35 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup mashed ripe bananas (about 1 medium sized banana)
- ½ cup dried cranberries (optional)
- ½ cup (120 ml) warm water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) milk
- ¼ cup (60 ml) canola, corn, or vegetable oil
- ¾ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 90 grams unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 113 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- 120 grams confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Prepare the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C, and place wire rack in the center of the oven. Line 12 regular-sized muffin cups with paper liners or spray each cup with a non-stick vegetable spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the egg, mashed banana, water, milk, oil, cranberries and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir, or whisk, until combined. (The batter is quite thin.) Pour or scoop the batter into the muffin cups, about 3/4 full, and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy (about 1 minute). Add the sugar and beat until it is light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the chocolate and beat on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is smooth and glossy (about 2 -3 minutes).
- Fill a piping bag, frost the cupcake and Enjoy!
- The cupcakes will stay refrigerated for up to 5days. Before serving bring the cupcakes to room temperature (about 30mins), so that the frosting which is made of butter softens.
- Cranberries are optional; you can leave them out totally.