Prep: 20mins. Bake: 45min. Serves: 8 – 10
For the Cake Batter:
- 2-1/4 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cups of Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp. of Salt
- 1 tsp. of Baking Powder
- 2 tsp. of Baking Soda
- 2 cups of Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. of Instant Coffee powder
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp. of Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup of Milk
For the Ganache:
- 1-1/3 cup of Heavy Cream
- 400gms Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- In a saucepan, add the cream and bring it to a simmer.
Pour the cream over the chocolate and allow it to sit for a few minutes untouched. Whisk together well until you get a creamy mixture, cover and set aside for a couple hours.
- To make the cake, preheat the oven to 180 degrees, spray 2 9” round cake pans with non-stick spray and lay the bottom with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a saucepan, add the water, instant coffee and milk, bring to a simmer and turn off the heat. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy add the eggs and vanilla and continue to mix until well combined.
- Add half of the dry ingredients along with half of the milk and water mixture and mix that in, add the remaining half of the dry ingredients and milk mixture and mix just until incorporated.
- Divide your batter evenly in the prepared pans; tap the pans on the counter just to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Bake the cakes for 40 to 45 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool slightly in the pans, remove the cake from the pans and cool completely on wire racks, a couple hours.
- When ready to frost the cake, line the edges of the cake stand with parchment paper, the place one of the cakes upside down on the cake stand and spread 1/4 of the chocolate mixture all over the surface of the cake.
- Place the other cake on top (this time top side up) and spread remaining chocolate mixture all over the top and sides of the cake and Enjoy!
- You can add 2tbsp. of dark rum to the batter to enhance the flavor.
- Serve right away or cover the cake with plastic wrap (or in a container) for a couple days.