Salted Caramel Cupcakes
Prep: 30mins. Bake: 20mins. Serves: 12
For the Cupcake:
- 50g cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 175g plain flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. bicarbonate of soda
- 225g caster sugar
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 175ml milk
- 1 cup of Salted Caramel Sauce*
- Sea salt flakes for sprinkling
For the Buttercream frosting:
- 125g softened unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 250g icing sugar mixture (sifted)
- 1tbsp. milk
- 1tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of Salted Caramel Sauce*
Prepare the cupcakes:
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degree Celsius and line a cupcake tin with 12 paper cupcake cases.
- Add all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and mix together for about 20 seconds. Add softened butter to dry ingredients and mix until you can see small crumbs.
- Add eggs and milk into a jug and whisk together well and mix in a slow steady stream while mixer is on low. Make sure to mix well.
- Scoop into cupcake pan, filling about 3/4 way and bake for 20 min. To check if they’re done by piercing the cupcake with a skewer and if they come out clean they’re done. Let them cool down completely.
- Use a knife or apple corer and gently make a hole in the centre of your cupcake and drizzle some caramel in the hole.
Prepare the Buttercream Frosting:
- Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to soften butter in a large bowl and mix for 5 minutes so it gains some volume and goes pale in colour.
- Add half the icing sugar mixture and mix on medium for 5 minutes. Then add the rest of the icing sugar along with 1 tbsp. of milk and a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Mix about half a cup caramel into frosting.
- Continue mixing for 5 min until it’s all well combined. Place into a piping bag fitted with desired tip.
- Frost on cupcakes and drizzle some extra caramel sauce on top and a good sprinkle of sea salt flakes. Enjoy!
*You can use a ready-made store bought Caramel Sauce, just add 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes to 1 cup of caramel sauce to give it a salty flavor.